Now, I’m not a football fan, by any stretch of the imagination… but I am most definitely a fan of football food.
Mostly, it’s because it’s a fantastic excuse to eat all the delicious fattening things that I rarely eat any other time of year.
Things that I honestly can’t say no to when they’re put in front of me.
Things like jalapeno poppers. I swear, I could polish an entire dozen of those deep-fried cheese-stuffed calorie bombs all by myself.
This dip takes all the things that are so awesome about jalapeno poppers – the spicy jalapenos, crispy bacon, gooey cheddar and melty cream cheese – and then combines them in one deliciously caloriffic bowl of ooey, gooey queso dip.
Which, by the way, means there’s one small upgrade from the original inspiration… because this particular dip, my friends, contains *beer*.
It’s just the thing for dunking a batch of freshly-baked soft pretzel bites, though you can crack open a bag of tortilla chips if you’re a little pressed for time.
And when it’s all done, I’d strongly recommend a quick run around the block to burn off a few calories.
Because unfortunately, watching football doesn’t actually count as exercise, no matter how much you might wish it did.
More Delicious Dips for Game Day
There isn’t any game day menu that isn’t improved with the addition of a few tasty dips. Obviously, this one’s my favourite, but here are a few other options to consider:
- Ridiculously Easy Red Pepper Dip
- Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip
- Lightened Up French Onion Dip
- Truffled Hot Cheese Dip with Mushrooms
This dip takes all the goodness of a jalapeno popper, and turns it into a deliciously dippable game-day treat. Serve with tortilla chips, or up the ante with freshly baked pretzel bites.
- 6 rashers bacon, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 bottle Corona (or other Mexican-style lager)
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 package (8oz) cream cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies, drained
- In large saucepan set over medium heat, cook the bacon for 3-5 minutes, or until it’s starting to crisp and has rendered out most of its fat. Add jalapenos, and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp and the jalapenos are softened.
- Add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Slowly add the beer, whisking briskly to break up lumps, and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the cheddar cheese and cream cheese, and simmer for 3-5 minutes longer, stirring constantly, until the dip is thick and smooth and bubbling hot.
- Serve the dip immediately, preferably in a warming crock or small fondue pot to keep it melty and warm.
- Category: Appetiser