There are a few dishes in my repertoire that are so stupidly easy to make that I actually kind of feel guilty calling them a recipe.
Take this crazy good dip, for example… all you have to do is throw a handful of ingredients into the food processor and then blitz until smooth.
That’s why I call it “ridiculously easy” roasted red pepper dip, as opposed to “reasonably achievable” or “usually not too difficult” roasted red pepper dip.
This is literally a 5-minute affair from start to finish… and that’s allowing enough time to dig around the fridge for the ingredients and then go fetch your food processor out of the cabinet and then ponder the meaning of life for a minute or two before you hit the “on” button on the processor.
The end product of all that hard work is a pale coral dip that’s equal parts creamy, tangy, and flavourful, with just enough sharp garlic bite to keep things lively. I’ve seen an entire bowl disappear i a matter of minutes.
The finished dip is perfectly good eaten straight from the food processor if you’re in a hurry, but I find it benefits from a half-hour rest in the fridge, which allows the flavours to mingle a little and lets the dip set up into a lovely thick consistency that’s equal parts dippable and spreadable.
And while I might feel guilty calling it a recipe, I most certainly do not feel guilty whipping up a batch at the slightest excuse.
Last minute guests? Check.
Potluck party at the office? You betcha.
Random Tuesday night snacking? Heck yeah.
Got five minutes and a jar of roasted red peppers kicking around in the pantry? Sure you do. Let’s make some dip.
This creamy red pepper dip comes together in a flash and requires a grand total of 5 ingredients. Serve with wedges of toasted pita or fresh vegetables for dipping. Holiday entertaining doesn’t get any easier than this!
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 jar (500ml / 17oz) roasted red peppers, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 package ( / 8 oz) cream cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Using a food processor, pulse the garlic close until finely minced. Add the roasted red peppers, cream cheese, mayonnaise and lemon juice, and process until smooth.
- Spoon the dip into a pretty bowl, and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Chill until ready to serve, at least 30 minutes or up to 2 days.
- Serve the finished dip with wedges of warm pita bread or an assorted of colourful fresh vegetables for dipping.
- Category: Appetizer