I have to confess, I didn't get the fuss about air fryers at first.
I've had one for a few years now, but it barely came out of the cupboard unless I was craving extra-crispy home fries.
Until now. This, my friends, is the recipe that made me into a believer.
I promise you these are the tastiest turkey burgers you've every had. They're gloriously golden-brown outside, juicy and flavourful on the inside, and all without the hassle of pulling out a frying pan or firing up the grill.
Move on over, home fries. The only thing I'm making in my air fryer from now on is burgers!
Why You Should be Air-Frying Your Burgers
Aside from the fact that air frying is a relatively mess-free way to get a perfectly juicy burger in no time, it also happens to make a damn fine burger. And by that, I mean the best burger ever.
That's because the air fryer cooks your food from all sides, creating a perfectly browned exterior with minimal effort.
Which is especially important when you're making a turkey burger, because turkey is such a lean meat and so they have this really unfortunate tendency of drying out.
As a bonus, the air fryer is totally hands-off, which frees you up to work on the side dishes. A bowl of Yogurt and Chive Potato Salad, perhaps?
And yes... this recipe also works with any kind of burger patty, so go ahead and air fry your favourite hamburger or chicken burger recipe!
Variations on This Recipe
The beauty of turkey burgers is that they're a blank canvas.
Below you'll find the basic recipe, simply seasoned with dried herbs, but the possibilities are basically endless once you start to play around with the seasonings, mix-ins and toppings. You can go as creative or as plain as you like.
If you're in need of some inspiration, here are a few options:
- Greek Turkey Burgers: Use dried oregano instead of the herb blend, and add ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese to the burger mixture. Top the cooked burgers with thinly sliced cucumber, baby spinach, and tzatziki spread.
- Cordon Bleu Turkey Burgers: Top the cooked burgers with a slice of swiss cheese and a slice of ham. Air fry for 2 minutes to melt the cheese, if desired.
- Buffalo Turkey Burgers: Add 2 tsp Tabasco sauce to the burger mixture. Top the cooked burgers with crumbled blue cheese and romaine lettuce.
- Asian Turkey Burgers: Omit the herb blend, and add ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro, 2 finely sliced scallions, 1 tbsp hoisin sauce and 1 tsp grated fresh ginger to the burger mixture. Top the cooked burgers with pickled carrot and daikon, and some more hoisin sauce.
Or try it with your current favourite recipe. Sriracha Turkey Burgers, anyone?Print
Air Fryer Turkey Burgers
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 burgers 1x
Turkey burgers cooked in the air fryer come out golden brown on the outside and perfectly juicy on the inside. Once you've tried this technique, you'll never go back to the frying pan again!
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 egg
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp dried herb blend
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Preheat air fryer to 350F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients and mix with your hands until well combined. Divide the mixture into four equal parts, and shape into patties.
- Place the burgers in a single layer in the air fryer drawer, making sure there's a little space between the patties for the air to flow through. (You may need to do this in two batches, depending on the size of the basket.)
- Air fry for 5 minutes per side, or until golden-brown on the outside and internal temperature is 165F.
- Serve immediately on toasted burger buns, and top off with your favourite garnishes and condiments.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Mains
- Method: Air Fried
- Cuisine: American
Leave a Reply