Welcome to this month's installment of the Secret Recipe Club! (Oh, and a happy Cinqo de Mayo, too.)
Meet This Month's Blogger: Cookaholic Wife
My assignment for May is Cookaholic Wife, a blog written and photographed by Nicole from Baltimore.
If her About Me section is anything to go by, I'm sure we'd get on like a house on fire - she's got a big goofy cat (like me!), she's a beach bum at heart (me too!), she spends her Sundays in the kitchen (so do I!), and nothing makes her happier than feeding other people (amen, sister!).
This Month's Recipe: Sriracha Turkey Burgers
Nicole has been blogging for several years, so I literally had hundreds of recipes to choose from.
I've been on a breakfast food kick lately, so I was briefly tempted by the flaky Honeycrisp Breakfast Pastry and the sunny Fresh Orange Muffins, but in the end it was her recipe for Sriracha Turkey Meatballs that rose to the top of my list.
Because sriracha. (What can I say? I'm a sucker for spice.)
How I Made The Recipe My Own
I honestly had every intention of making these at meatballs, but when my cooking day rolled around, I realized I had a major burger craving.
So instead of rolling the mixture into little meatballs, I shaped it into full-size burger patties instead, which I then topped off with banh mi inspired toppings.
We even managed to fire up the barbecue for one of the first times this year, so that we could grill these up over charcoal all proper-like.
If I had to pick just one word for this month's pick? Delicious.
The patties had just the right amount of spice to get my tastebuds tingling.
And while that would be plenty on its own, there's all sorts of flavour going on thanks to the zip of fresh ginger and garlic, the tanginess of the pickled carrots and daikons, the freshness of the cilantro and the crispness of the cucumbers.
It's like banh mi and a turkey burger had a delicious, delicious baby together.
I'm still planning on trying out the meatballs the next time I need a hearty appetizer for a party, but in the meantime, I'm happy to say that my raging burger craving has been satisfied.
These turkey burgers are pepped up with Asian-inspired spices, including a hefty dose of sriracha hot sauce, and with crunchy fresh banh-mi inspired toppings.
Sriracha Turkey Burger Patties:
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup panko bread crumbes
- 3 tbsp Sriracha hot sauce
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt
Assembly and Toppings:
- 4 burger buns
- Sliced cucumbers
- Pickled shredded carrots
- Pickled shredded daikon
- Fresh cilantro sprigs
- Sriracha mayo
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill on medium-high heat. (If the weather isn't conducive to grilling, preheat a stovetop grill pan or indoor grill instead.)
- In a large bowl, use your hands to combine the ground turkey, green onions, egg, bread crumbs, Sriracha, sesame seeds, ginger, garlic and salt. Shape into 4 patties.
- Arrange the burgers on the preheated grill and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until cooked all the way through (a meat thermometer should register an internal temperature of 160F).
- To serve, place a patty in each bun, and finish with whatever toppings you like.
Recipe adapted from Cookaholic Wife
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Main