This is a sponsored post on behalf of TABASCO. All opinions expressed within this post are (as always) my own.
Wanna know a secret? I have a secret love affair with American Thanksgiving. It’s so much more showy than our humble Canadian harvest celebration, what with the football, and the giant balloon parade, and the enormous celebratory meal with its never-ending array of traditional side dishes.
(Oh, and those Black Friday deals? So jealous.)
I guess that’s probably why I’ve had sweet potato casserole on the brain for the past couple of weeks.
I can live without the marshmallow topping, but delicious sweet potatoes with loads of spice? Yes, please.
Thankfully, these sweet potato waffles totally satisfy that craving without having to go through the hassle of making a full Thanksgiving dinner.
They’ve got that same mellow sweet potato flavour, only in a crispy-on-the-outside, fluffy-on-the-inside package that’s perfect for smothering in syrup. Because what’s not made instantly better when it’s in waffle form?
I suppose you could go keep the sweet potato casserole theme going and top these with some mini marshmallows, but that seems like an unnecessary step when you can top them off with a kicked-up homemade maple syrup spiked with butter-toasted pecans and a not-so-secret ingredient - TABASCO® Chipotle sauce.
The chipotle adds a smoky, not-too-spicy flavour to the maple syrup that’s surprisingly perfect for the warm spices and gentle sweetness of the waffles.
Forget the turkey, forget the stuffing, forget the green bean casserole… this is the real thing to look forward to this Thanksgiving weekend.
The only thing that could possibly make these more perfect is a couple strips of crisp-fried bacon, if you’re thusly inclined.
(Oh, and American friends? This is the perfect way to use up some of any sweet potato mash you’ve got leftover from your turkey day extravaganza. Seriously. In fact, you should probably make extra so you have an excuse to make a stack of these beauties for your weekend brunch.)
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp TABASCO® Chipotle sauce
- 1 cup sweet potato puree (or leftover sweet potato mash)
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp TABASCO® Chipotle sauce
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, heat the butter until melted and foamy. Stir in the pecans, and cook until fragrant and toasted, about 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Pour in the maple syrup and TABASCO sauce, and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes or until the syrup is heated through. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm while you prepare the waffles.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the sweet potato puree, milk, egg, butter, brown sugar, TABASCO® sauce, and vanilla extract until smooth and well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Add to the wet ingredients, and mix thoroughly until the batter is smooth and lump-free. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat your waffle iron. Once the iron is nice and hot, spoon on the batter and spread into an even layer. Cook until waffles are golden-brown and crisp on the outside, and cooked through inside. Repeat until all the batter is gone. (You’ll get anywhere from 6-12 waffles, depending on the size of your waffle iron.)
- Transfer the finished waffles to a wire rack on a baking sheet, and keep warm in the oven between batches.