I know I say this every year, but it feels like summer's flown by in the blink of an eye. Asparagus season feels like it was just yesterday, but here we are, knee deep in peaches and blueberries and corn.
Which can only mean one thing.... the onslaught of back to school ads is just around the corner.
These muffins are meant to take a bit of the sting out of that realization. They taste just like summer, with big fat chunks of fresh peach in a sweet buttermilk cake batter, and there's a lovely little surprise hiding inside - a sweet creamy layer, tucked right in the middle of each muffin!
And I bet you can't guess in a million years what that creamy deliciousness is made of.
Believe it or not, it's Nordica Plain Smooth Cottage Cheese.
Yes, cottage cheese can be creamy!
The thing is, this isn't the old-fashioned kind that your grandmama might have scooped onto a salad.
What we're talking about here is cottage cheese that's been blended down to a lovely smooth consistency that's thicker than Greek yogurt, but not quite as thick as ricotta cheese.
I've been enjoying it in the simplest way possible, spooned into a bowl with some honey and fresh fruit for a light breakfast, but it's also good for adding a boost of protein to my morning smoothies, or for whisking into my scrambled eggs to make them extra-rich.
And, in this case, it makes for a delightful little pocket of creamy deliciousness right in the middle of these muffins, because the only thing better than ripe peaches is ripe peaches and cream.
(That said, any other soft summer fruit would work quite nicely... strawberries, blueberries, apricots or plums are all great substitutions if you're already tired of peaches.)
Pair a fresh-baked muffin with a big mug of hot coffee for a lazy weekend brunch, or keep them around for a little afternoon snack to ward off the dreaded 2pm slump.
And, while it pains me to say so, they're equally perfect for packing up in your lunchbox for work... or school.
Disclosure: I am part of the PTPA Brand Ambassador Program with Gay Lea, and received compensation as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.
These golden-brown muffins are filled with chunks of fresh peach and have a surprise inside - a creamy pocket of smooth cottage cheese!
- 3 cups flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup melted Gay Lea butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups diced fresh peaches
Creamy Cottage Cheese Filling:
- ½ cup Nordica Smooth plain cottage cheese (see note)
- 2 tbsp plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Lightly grease the cups a standard 12-cup muffin pan, or line with paper liners, if you prefer.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt until combined. In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, egg, buttermilk and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and mix until just barely combined. Gently fold in the peaches, being careful not to overmix
- Spoon muffin batter into the prepared pan, filling each cup about halfway.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cottage cheese, yogurt, sugar and vanilla. Scrape into a small plastic bag, then snip off a corner and pipe a tablespoon of filling into the centre of each muffin. Gently spoon the remaining muffin batter on top of the filling, covering completely.
- Bake in preheated oven for 17-20 minutes, or until the muffins are golden-brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out with a moist crumb.
If you can't find Nordica Smooth cottage cheese at your local supermarket, you can make your own by blending regular cottage cheese in a food processor or blender until smooth and creamy.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked