These golden-brown muffins are filled with chunks of fresh peach and have a surprise inside – a creamy pocket of smooth cottage cheese!
- 3 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup melted Gay Lea butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups diced fresh peaches
Creamy Cottage Cheese Filling:
- ½ cup Nordica Smooth plain cottage cheese (see note)
- 2 tbsp plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Lightly grease the cups a standard 12-cup muffin pan, or line with paper liners, if you prefer.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt until combined. In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, egg, buttermilk and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and mix until just barely combined. Gently fold in the peaches, being careful not to overmix
- Spoon muffin batter into the prepared pan, filling each cup about halfway.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cottage cheese, yogurt, sugar and vanilla. Scrape into a small plastic bag, then snip off a corner and pipe a tablespoon of filling into the centre of each muffin. Gently spoon the remaining muffin batter on top of the filling, covering completely.
- Bake in preheated oven for 17-20 minutes, or until the muffins are golden-brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out with a moist crumb.
If you can’t find Nordica Smooth cottage cheese at your local supermarket, you can make your own by blending regular cottage cheese in a food processor or blender until smooth and creamy.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked