There’s something about this time of year that makes me crave roast chicken (case in point, this other one-pan spicy roast chicken I posted just over 5 years ago).
I guess it’s because it feels like the perfect food to straddle the hearty comfort foods of winter with the lighter flavours of spring and summer.
This particular take on roast chicken feels like the perfect in-between dish for an in-between season – there’s plenty of crispy-skinned chicken and golden roast potatoes to help satisfying that comfort food craving, along with slices of Meyer lemon and whole asparagus for a pop of bright spring sunshine. A vibrant Meyer lemon and grainy mustard dressing drizzled on at the end ties it all together.
It totally hits the spot on a busy weeknight, mostly because it’s just a matter to tossing everything in the pan and then letting the oven do all the work.
The best part, though, is that it literally uses only one pan, meaning there’s minimal cleanup to do afterwards, meaning there’s more time to enjoy that late evening sunshine (or catch up on the season finale of that show you’ve been hate-watching for the last few months… c’mon, admit it, you’ve got at least one of those planned.)
In a word, it’s a lazy girl’s best friend.
Particularly if said lazy girl wants to enjoy a walk to soak up the last bit of late-evening sunshine, or was planning on curling up on the couch to watch the season finale for that show she’s been hate-watching for the last couple of months.
(C’mon, admit it. You’ve totally got one of those shows on your list.)
Can’t find Meyers? No problem… regular lemons are a perfectly fine (albeit slightly tangier) substitute.
- 1 lb red-skinned baby potatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 4 chicken leg quarters, cut into drumsticks and thighs
- 2 Meyer lemons, cut into thick slices
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, trimmed
- ¼ cup Meyer lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp old-fashioned grainy mustard
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a large roasting pan, toss the potatoes with 2 tsp olive oil, ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper until evenly coated. Spread out into an even layer.
- Pat the chicken pieces dry. Season all over with the remaining salt and pepper. Arrange the chicken on top of the vegetables, making sure the thighs are skin side up, and drizzle with the rest of the olive oil. Arrange the lemon slices around the pan, and top off with the rosemary sprigs.
- Roast in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the chicken skin is golden and crisp. Scatter the asparagus over the chicken and potatoes. In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients, and drizzle all over the contents of the pan.
- Return the pan to the oven and continue baking for about 10-15 minutes longer or until the potatoes are tender and golden brown and a quick-read thermometer registers an internal temperature of 165F on the thickest part of the chicken. Serve immediately.