This quick restaurant-style fried rice comes together in half the time it takes to call for takeout. It’s a perfect way to use up leftover cooked rice and whatever protein you have kicking around in the fridge.
- 1/2 cup protein (see Notes)
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 4 green onions, finely sliced
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Add the oil to a wok or deep non-stick skillet set over medium-high heat.
- Add your protein and saute until cooked all the way through. (If your protein is already cooked, just saute until warmed through and starting to brown.)
- Stir in the carrots and celery, and saute for 2 minutes. Add the white and light green parts of the green onions (save the dark green parts for later), and stir in the grated ginger. Saute for 1 minute longer, or until fragrant.
- Push the ingredients to one side of the pan and add the eggs. Cook until the eggs start to set, then break them up and stir them into the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the rice and peas, and drizzle with soy sauce and sesame oil. Stir everything together until combined.
- Sprinkle with the remainder of the green onions, and serve immediately.
Choosing Your Protein: Feel free to customize this recipe based on whatever you have on hand. Some options include diced raw chicken (breast or thigh), hot dogs, SPAM, cured sausage, bacon, shrimp, diced ham or even tofu.