Vietnamese coffee gets its distinctive flavour from sweetened condensed milk. This recipe turns that classic pairing into a light, creamy mousse that’s as easy to make as it is delicious to eat.
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 tbsp instant espresso powder
- 1 packet (1 tbsp) unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- In a small bowl, combine the warm water and espresso powder, and stir until the espresso dissolves. Sprinkle the gelatin overtop and let stand for 5 minutes to soften.
- In a small saucepan set over low heat, heat the condensed milk and vanilla together for 5 minutes. Stir in the gelatin mixture, and continue cooking until the gelatin dissolves, about 1-2 minutes longer. Remove from heat and let stand for a few minutes to come down to room temperature.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the cream to soft peaks. Gently fold in the cooled coffee mixture, then spoon into 4 serving dishes and chill for at least 1 hour to allow the gelatin to set. Serve chilled.
- Category: Dessert