This rich, creamy casserole made with cooked spaghetti, mushrooms, turkey and peas smothered in Parmesan sauce is quite possibly the best thing that could ever happen to leftover roast turkey. This recipe also works with leftover roast chicken or ham.
- 5 tbsp butter, divided
- 6 tbsp flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 lb (250g) uncooked spaghetti, snapped in half
- 1/2 lb (250g) sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups diced cooked turkey
- 1 cup frozen peas, unthawed
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly butter a 9x13-inch casserole dish.
- In a small saucepan, melt 4 tbsp butter over medium-high heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Whisk in the chicken broth and cream, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for about 5 minutes or until the sauce is thick and silky, whisking constantly as you go. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and cook the spaghetti as per package directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- While the spaghetti is cooking, melt the remaining 1 tbsp butter in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan set over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms are soft and have released most of their liquid. Add the wine and continue cooking for 5 minutes longer, or until most of the liquid in the pan has cooked off.
- Stir in the cream sauce, cooked turkey, peas, cooked spaghetti, and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Test the seasoning, adding more salt and pepper as desired.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle evenly with the panko crumbs and remaining 1/4 cup parmesan. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until top is golden-brown and filling is bubbling and hot. Serve immediately with a sprinkling of fresh parsley.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Mains
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American