No one will ever guess that this delicious one-bowl bundt cake gets its deep reddish-orange colour and delicate flavour from a whole can of condensed tomato soup.
Tomato Soup Spice Cake:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (284ml / 10.75oz) condensed tomato soup
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup raisins or chopped pecans (optional)
Cream Cheese Icing:
- 1/2 cup (125g / 4 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp milk, divided
Make the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Generously butter a 9-inch bundt cake pan.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the tomato soup, and stir until smooth.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and spices, and mix until combined. Fold in the pecans or raisins, if using.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan, and smooth out the top. Bake in preheated oven for 40-50 minutes, or until the cake is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the bundt pan for 5 minutes, then carefully unmold and transfer to a wire rack to cool off completely.
Make the Icing:
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the icing. In a small bowl, beat together the cream cheese and icing sugar until combined. Stir in the milk, 1/2 tbsp at a time, until you have a thick, pourable glaze.
- Spoon the icing onto the top of the cooled cake, allowing it to drip over the sides. If possible, let sit for at least an hour before serving to allow the icing to set.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American