A hearty and satisfying combination of saucy tomato rice, bell peppers and smoked pork sausage makes this a one-pot meal the perfect comfort food fix. If you like it spicy, feel free to add a few dashes of Tabasco sauce.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb sliced smoked sausage (preferably andouille)
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 can (398ml / 16 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp Creole seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a large deep skillet or wide heavy-bottomed saucepan set over medium-high heat, saute the sausage in olive oil until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes. Add the peppers and onion, and continue cooking until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes longer. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the rice, tomatoes, chicken broth, seasoning, bay leaf, and salt. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until rice has is cooked through and has absorbed most of the liquid. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Mains
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Creole