There’s a lot to love about this colourful summertime salad, but the star of the show is definitely the sweet-and-spicy pineapple dressing. Try it drizzled onto grilled shrimp or pork for a different (yet equally delicious) variation.
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh pineapple, cut into 1” cubes
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 cups baby salad greens
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh pineapple
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced yellow or red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced English cucumber
- 1 small firm-ripe avocado, pitted and cut into chunks
- Lightly oil the grates of an outdoor gas grill and preheat to high. (Or preheat a lightly oiled grill pan over high heat)
- While the grill heats, lay the chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap, and pound to an even 1/2″ thickness. Sprinkle evenly on both sides with chili powder, salt and pepper. Cook on preheated grill for 3 minutes on each side or until juices run clear and centre is no longer pink. Transfer to a cutting board, and let rest for 5 minutes before cutting into thin slices. Set aside to cool completely.
- Next, prepare the dressing. In a blender or food processor, combine pineapple, cilantro, orange juice, honey, vinegar, jalapeno and garlic. Process until smooth. With the blender still running, slowly pour in the olive oil in a thin stream, and process until emulsified and smooth.
- To assemble the salads, toss the salad greens, peppers, red onion and cucumbers with 3/4 cup dressing until evenly coated. Divide salad evenly among 4 plates, then top each one with an equal amount of sliced chicken and avocado. Drizzle with remaining dressing, then serve immediately.