This vegetarian curry comes together in a flash using (mostly) pantry ingredients. Serve it with freshly cooked brown rice or oven-warmed naan for an easy weeknight meal.
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp Indian curry paste (or curry powder)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 can (540 ml / 19 oz) canned chickpeas
- 1 can (540 ml / 19 oz) whole tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 cup plain yogurt, for garnish
- In a large saucepan set over medium high heat, saute onion and sweet potato in vegetable oil until potato becomes tender, 8-10 minutes, reducing heat if onions begin to brown. Add garam masala, paprika and curry paste, and continue cooking for about 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add garlic, ginger and tomato paste and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Add broth, coconut milk, chickpeas and tomatoes. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Allow to simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until sauce is thickened and potatoes are very tender. Remove from heat. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and/or cayenne pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with warm naan bread or ladle onto on a bed of cooked rice. Garnish with a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkle of cilantro, if desired.
- Category: Main