Inspired by Blue Bottle Coffee's signature snickerdoodle cookie, these cinnamon-dusted chewy cookies are generously scented with both saffron and vanilla for an exotic twist on a classic.
- 2 tsp boiling water
- 1 tsp saffron threads, crumbled
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup golden brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- In a small bowl, combine boiling water and saffron threads. Set aside to steep for 10-15 minutes, or until the water is brilliant yellow in colour.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter, brown sugar and white sugar together on medium-high speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Using a sharp knife, split vanilla bean lengthwise, and scrape the seeds into the butter mixture.
- Add the reserved dry ingredients to the mixer bowl, and mix on low speed until just combined. Wrap the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to firm up the dough.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375F, and line four large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Roll chilled dough into 1” (2.5cm) balls. Roll each ball in the cinnamon and sugar mixture until completely coated. Place on prepared cookie sheets, leaving about 2 inches space (this is important - these cookies will expand a fair bit as they bake).
- Bake in preheated oven 10-12 minutes until the surface of the cookies looks slightly wrinkled. Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Cool cookie sheets are key to getting the perfectly round, domed shape of these cookies, so if you only have two cookie sheets in your arsenal, make sure to let them cool off completely between batches... otherwise, the butter in your dough will melt before the cookies have a chance to set up, resulting in some less-than-spectacular results.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Category: Dessert