Tangy and sweet, these bars combine a walnut crumble topping with a ruby-red raspberry and rhubarb filling in one irresistible bite-sized package.
- 1 1/2 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2” pieces
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly butter an 8×8″ square pan and line with a piece of parchment paper, leaving an overhang on either side. Lightly butter the parchment. Set aside.
- Prepare the filling. In a small saucepan set over medium heat, bring the filling ingredients to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until the filling is thickened and rhubarb is starting to break down. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the crumble crust. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, salt, baking powder and cinnamon. Drizzle in the melted butter, and stir until the mixture forms loose crumbs.
- Set aside 1 cup of the mixture for the topping. Press the remainder into the prepared baking pan, using the bottom of a glass or measuring cup to form an even layer. Spread the cooled filling onto the crust. Crumble the reserved topping evenly onto the filling, then scatter chopped walnuts over top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the filling is bubbly around the edges and topping is lightly golden. Let cool completely in the pan, then transfer to a cutting board and cut into 12 bars. Bars will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container (assuming they actually last that long).
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Canadian