Sliced chourico, green peppers and kidney beans give this hearty beef stew a Portuguese flair. Serve with a simple green salad and lots of crusty bread for mopping up the bowl.
- 1 lb stewing beef, cut into 1" cubes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb spicy chourico sausage (see Note)
- 2 medium green peppers, sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 can (540ml / 19 oz) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 medium potatoes, cut into 3/4" chunks
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven set over medium-high heat. Working in two batches to avoid crowding the pan, sear the beef until well-browned on all sides. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the browned beef to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the chourico to the pot, and cook until it starts to take on some colour, about 5 minutes. Stir in the onion, green pepper and garlic, and continue cooking for another 3-5 minutes or until onions are soft and translucent.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, and bring to a simmer. Transfer to preheated oven and cook for 2 hours, or until beef is tender. Serve immediately.
Chourico vs Chorizo: You'll want to use a Portuguese-style chourico (or Spanish-style chorizo) for this recipe, which is a fully cooked and cured pork sausage seasoned with lots of garlic and paprika. You will not get the same results if you use a Mexican-style chorizo, because it's a fresh sausage and has a very different flavour profile.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Category: Mains
- Method: Braised
- Cuisine: Portuguese