This classic French dessert is typically made with fresh cherries, but it works just as well with other stone fruits… like, say, these sweet/tart yellow plums that are one of the first varieties to hit the market in the summertime.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp hazelnut oil (or melted butter)
- 1 tbsp brandy
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup flour
- 8–10 small yellow plums
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly butter a 9″ deep-dish pie plate or an 8×8 baking dish, then dust bottom with 1 tbsp sugar.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, hazelnut oil, brandy, almond extract and vanilla extract. Add flour and remaining 1/2 cup sugar, and beat until smooth and lump-free.
- Halve and pit the plums, and arrange them onto the prepared baking dish, cut side down. Pour in the batter, doing your best to avoid disturbing the arranged fruit.
- Bake clafouti in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the batter is set around the edges and just slightly wobbly in the middle. Let cool for 10-15 minutes, then serve warm with a light dusting of icing sugar.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: French