Lilac lovers will fall head over heels for these buttery shortbread cookies infused with the delicate floral fragrance of lilac blossoms and a pop of fresh lemon. They taste just like springtime in cookie form!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup packed fresh lilac blossoms (see note)
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- Using a mixer, beat together the butter, sugar and salt until combined. Working on low speed, add the flour, mixing just until the dough comes together. Mix in the lilac blossoms and lemon zest.
- Divide dough in half, and shape each half into a 1 1/2-inch log. Wrap both logs tightly with parchment paper, and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Using a sharp knife, slice the dough 3/8" thick. Arrange the slices on parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing them around 1" apart.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly golden around the edges. Let cool on baking sheets for a minute or two, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.