A fresh spring makeover for a classic Italian dish - tender gnocchi tossed with brown butter and crispy pancetta meet tender asparagus and sweet peas. It’s a match made in heaven!
- 1 package (1lb / 500g) gnocchi
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 100g prosciutto, cut into thin strips
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely mined
- 1 pound asparagus, cut into 1” lengths
- 1 cup sweet peas, fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup salted butter
- 10-12 fresh sage leaves
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Lots of black pepper
- Grated Parmesan, to garnish
- Cook the gnocchi in boiling salted water as per package directions. Drain and set aside.
- While the gnocchi is cooking, fry up the prosciutto in olive oil in a large skillet with high sides over medium-high heat until it starts to crisp up, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a small plate lined with paper towel and set aside, leaving as much oil in the pan as possible.
- Add the green onion and garlic to the pan, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the asparagus and peas, and saute until bright green and starting to get tender, about 2 minutes. Scrape into a bowl and set aside.
- Wipe the skillet clean using a paper towel. Add the butter and let it cook, stirring occasionally, until it’s foamy and a nutty golden-brown colour, about 2-4 minutes. Remove from heat immediately, and stir in the fresh sage.
- Add the cooked gnocchi to the pan and toss to coat evenly with butter. Stir in the crispy prosciutto and the cooked vegetables, and sprinkle with lemon juice and lots of fresh ground black pepper. Toss until everything is evenly coated. Serve immediately with a sprinkling of grated Parmesan for garnish.
- Category: Main
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian