This make-ahead chocolate oatmeal recipe provides you with five servings of oatmeal. Pack it into mason jars for an easy grab-and-go breakfast in the morning - just reheat it for 1-2 minutes in the microwave for a hot, heart-healthy breakfast.
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chocolate almond milk
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp sugar or honey
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a medium-sized pot, bring the water and almond milk to a boil. Stir in the steel-cut oats, cocoa powder, flax meal, sugar and salt, and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, stirring every 5 mins or so, until the liquid is thickened and the oats are tender and ever-so-slightly chewy. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. (The oatmeal might still look a little runny at this point, but don't worry - it'll continue thickening up as it cools.)
- Spoon the hot oatmeal into five 250ml mason jars, and set aside to cool, uncovered. Once the jars are completely cooled, seal them up with lids and transfer to the refrigerator until ready to use.
- To serve, simply microwave the uncovered jars for 1-2 minutes on high or until warmed through, then dig in!
This recipe is quite delicious on its own, but plain chocolate can get a little boring after a day or two - to shake up your routine, try topping off the reheated oatmeal with a sliced banana and some sliced almonds, a spoonful of peanut butter, roughly chopped dried apricots, or a handful of fresh berries.
- Category: Breakfast