These thin, lacy oatmeal cookies are chock-full of sweet dates and crunchy walnuts, all tied together with a generous dash of cinnamon. Their sweet flavour and chewy texture are guaranteed to help you power through the mid-afternoon slump.
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream together the margarine, granulated sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, water and vanilla, and beat until smooth.
- Add the rolled oats, flour, salt, and baking soda, and stir until well combined. Fold in the dates and walnuts.
- Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until centre is set and edges are golden-brown. Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool off completely.
Storage: The finished cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week, though they will start to lose their chewiness after 2 days or so.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Canadian