These gooey no-bake chocolate balls are normally made with rum or brandy, but they’re even better when made with Amarula Cream Liqueur. They’re a great make-ahead treat because they actually taste best after they’ve had a few days to mellow – if possible, plan to make your Amarula Balls at least a week ahead to give the flavours a chance to fully meld and develop.
- 1 cup roughly chopped dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup Amarula Cream Liqueur
- 2 tbsp light corn syrup
- 2 1/2 cups chocolate cookie crumbs
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- Coatings: Chocolate sprinkles, icing sugar, ground almonds, cocoa
- Using a double boiler or microwave, melt the chocolate.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, stir together the melted chocolate and Amarula Cream Liqueur and corn syrup, and whisk until smooth. (Don’t worry if the chocolate mixture seizes up a little when you first add the liquids – just whisk briskly and it will eventually come together.)
- In a separate bowl, mix together chocolate cookie crumbs, ground almonds and icing sugar. Add to the chocolate mixture, and stir until well combined. Cover the mixture and chill it for 1 hour, or until firm.
- Once the mixture is thoroughly chilled, scoop out walnut-sized pieces and roll into balls. Roll the finished balls in your chosen coating. Transfer to an airtight container, and store in the refrigerator for at least 2 days (but ideally at least a week) to allow the flavours to develop.
Storing Amarula Balls: The finished balls will keep for up to a month in the fridge in an airtight container.