This recipe is as close to the classic Starbucks holiday treat as you can get without leaving your house. No mini-loaf pan? No worries! An 8×8 square baking pan will also do the trick, though it won’t be as pretty.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp whipping cream, divided
- Finely chopped candied orange, for decoration
Bake the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly butter and flour a mini loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add milk, applesauce, vanilla extract and orange zest, and continue mixing until mixture is completely combined.
- Fold in the dry ingredients, mixing only until just barely combined. Pour batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top of each mini loaf. Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the loaves comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, the remove from the pan and allow to cool off completely.
Make the Icing:
- While the cake cools, prepare the frosting. In a mixing bowl, beat together icing sugar, butter, vanilla extract and 1 tbsp whipping cream until smooth and spreadable. (If the icing looks too thick, add more whipping cream, a teaspoon at a time, until it loosens up to the right consistency. If it looks too runny, add more icing sugar, a tablespoon at a time, until it thickens up.)
Frost and Decorate:
- Once the loaves have cooled, spread a thin layer of icing onto each cake and decorate with a few bits of chopped orange peel. Devour on the spot, or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
My mini-loaf pan makes eight 4 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ loaves, so if your pan is bigger or smaller, you will need to adjust baking times accordingly.
- Category: Dessert