A British classic goes bite-sized in these adorable mini tarts filled with jam and frangipane and covered with a snowy white icing. Fill with whatever flavour jam you like - raspberry or redcurrant are traditional, but this is also a great canvas for showing off more experimental flavours.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp vinegar
- 3 tbsp ice-cold water
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup finely ground almonds
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup raspberry jam (or any other jam you like)
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 6 red glace cherries. quartered
Prepare the Pastry Shells:
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, icing sugar and salt and pulse to mix. Add the cold butter, and pulse five or six times, until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and vinegar. With the machine running, add egg yolk mixture, then add the ice water, one tablespoon at a time, stopping as soon as the dough starts to clump together.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean surface, divide in half, and gently form each half into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least one hour or until quite firm. (You can also do this a day or two in advance.)
Prepare the Filling:
- While the pastry chills, begin on the frangipane filling.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in ground almonds, almond extract and vanilla. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap, and chill for 30 minutes.
Assemble the Tarts:
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out the chilled pastry to 1/8" thick. Using a 3-inch round cookie cutter, cut out 24 circles. Gently press the dough circles into the cups of a mini muffin tin, then place in the freezer to chill thoroughly for 15 minutes.
- Spoon 1/2 tsp jam into the bottom of each shell, then spoon in a little frangipane overtop, making sure to leave a little rim of tart shell uncovered. (Make sure not to overfill, as it will be very difficult to extract the tarts once they're baked!)
- Bake in preheated oven until filling is puffed and golden, about 18-20 minutes. Let tarts cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then carefully remove and set on a wire rack to cool off completely before frosting.
Glaze and Decorate the Tarts:
- Once the tarts are cooled, whisk together icing sugar, water and almond extract in a small bowl until you have a smooth, thick glaze. Spread a layer of icing onto the cooled tarts, then finish each one with a piece of cherry.
- Category: Dessert