This fresh, bright salad is a perfect standalone meal in and of itself, though it’s equally good served alongside grilled chicken or salmon if you want something a little more substantial.
Roasted Lemon Vinaigrette:
- 1 lemon (preferably Meyers, if you can get them)
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp good-quality olive oil (plus a little for brushing onto the lemons)
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
Prepare the Vinaigrette:
- Preheat your broiler.
- Cut the lemons in half cross-wise, and use the tip of your knife to remove the seeds. Brush the cut surfaces with a little olive oil.
- Place the lemons cut-side up on a baking sheet lined with foil, and broil until soft and slightly charred around the edges, about 8-10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Once the lemons are cool enough to handle, squeeze the juice and pulp into a small bowl (you should have approximately 1-2 tbsp, depending on the size of your lemons).
- Whisk in the garlic, honey, salt and pepper. Then, continuing to whisk, slowly drizzle in the extra-virgin olive oil until completely incorporated. Set aside until ready to use.
Assemble the Salad:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over the vinaigrette, then toss until the salad is well mixed and everything is thoroughly coated with vinaigrette.
- The salad can be served right away, but it’s even better after it’s had a couple of hours to let the flavour blend and mellow.
The lemons for this recipe can also be grilled, if you prefer – simply place the halved lemons cut side down on a lightly-oiled grill and cook until lightly charred around the edges, about 8-10 minutes.
- Category: Salad