These savoury breakfast sandwiches will have you swearing off the coffee shop version forever. Prefer to keep it simple? Skip the fillings and enjoy the perfectly golden and fluffy cheddar and black pepper biscuits on their own!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cup grated Avonlea Clothbound Cheddar (or any aged Canadian cheddar)
- ¼ cup very cold butter, cut into small cubes
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 8 slices bacon, fried until crisp and broken in half
- 8 eggs, cooked over-easy
- Thinly sliced Avonlea Clothbound Cheddar
- Preheat oven 425F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, pepper, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or two sharp knives, cut in the butter until the mixture is coarse and crumbly. Add the cheese, mixing until well combined.
- In a second small bowl, whisk together the milk and yogurt. Add to the dry ingredients, and stir until just barely combined, stopping as soon as the last few floury streaks are incorporated.
- Spoon 8 large dollops of batter onto the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with melted butter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool for another 10 minutes.
- Once the biscuits are cool enough to handle but still a little warm, carefully slice each one in half using a serrated knife. Starting with the bottom half of each biscuit, layer on two half-slices of bacon, an egg, and a few slices of cheddar. Top with the top half of the biscuit and serve immediately.
- Category: Breakfast