Inspired by Amira and Duncan’s love story, these cookies are deliciously sweet and a little bit spicy, pairing the chewy goodness of an old-fashioned snickerdoodle cookie with the fragrant spice of masala chai.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Start by making the snickerdoodle cookie dough. In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter until pale yellow and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, chai spice and salt.
- In a small bowl, prepare the chai-spiced sugar by stirring together the sugar and chai spice until combined.
- Scoop out heaping tablespoons of dough, and roll into 1 1/2 – inch balls. Roll the balls in the chai-spiced sugar to coat. Arrange 2″ apart on the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until the cookies look set and pale golden brown around the edges. Let cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool off completely.
Homemade Chai Spice Mix: You can use a pre-made spice blend for these cookies, but if you want to make your own, combine 1 crushed cinnamon stick, 2 tbsp green cardamom pods, 1 tbsp ground ginger, 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg, 4 allspice berries and 2 cloves, and grind into a fine powder using a coffee grinder or mortar and pestle. (As with any spice blend, feel free to adjust any of the quantities based on your personal preference.)