Homemade bread and butter pickles are equal parts sweet and tangy, and so easy to make! This small batch recipe makes a single one-litre jar (or one-quart, for our US friends), but it can be scaled up based on how many cucumbers you have.
- 1 lb fresh pickling cucumbers (~4-5 medium cucumbers)
- 1 cup sliced white onion (~1 small onion)
- 1 cup sliced red pepper (~1 small pepper)
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- Rinse the cucumbers under cold water and gently scrub to remove any dirt that might be left on the skin. Pat dry, then cut into 1/4" thick slices.
- Combine the cucumbers, onion and pepper in a large colander. Sprinkle with salt, and toss until evenly coated. Set aside to drain for 3 hours, then rinse well and drain thoroughly.
- In a small saucepan set over medium-high heat, combine the vinegar, sugar, water and spices. Bring to a simmer, then cook for 2 minutes before removing from heat.
- Pack the drained vegetables into a 1-litre or 1-quart jar, then pour in the hot brine. Set aside to cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate for at least 2-3 days before enjoying, Pickles will keep for 3-4 months in the refrigerator.