Roast chicken on a weeknight? It's possible when you use chicken thighs and drumsticks, which roast in a fraction of the time it takes to cook a whole bird.
- 6 chicken leg quarters, cut into thighs and drumsticks
- 1 lb carrots, cut on the diagonal into 2" lengths
- 1 lb baby potatoes, cut in half
- 1 large red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1/2 cup oil-cured black olives (pref pitted)
- 1 lemon, cut into thin slices
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp harissa spice blend
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a large roasting pan, toss the carrots, potatoes, onion, olives, lemon slices and olive oil until vegetables are evenly coated. Spread out into an even layer, and sprinkle with some salt and pepper.
- Pat the chicken pieces dry. Season generously with salt and pepper, then dust on both sides with smoked paprika and harissa spice.
- Arrange the chicken on top of the vegetables, making sure the thighs are skin side up, and top off with a few sprigs of thyme (be as generous or as skimpy as you like, depending on how much you like thyme - it's really up to you)
- Roast in preheated oven for 50-55 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Category: Main