This southwest-inspired variation on the classic Cobb salad uses tender strips of grilled steak in lieu of the more traditional chicken. Could there be a more perfect way to hang onto summer for just a little while longer? I think not.
Sriracha Ranch Dressing:
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp lime juice
- ½ tsp salt
Southwest Spiced Steak:
- 1 lb Ontario Corn Fed strip loin steak
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground chipotle
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 6 cups roughly chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 hard boiled eggs, cut into wedges
- 1 small ripe avocado, rougly chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup corn niblets, thawed if frozen
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 strips bacon, crisp fried and crumbled
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
Prepare the Dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, mayonnaise, sriracha sauce, lime juice and salt until combined. Pour into a jar and chill until ready to use.
Grill the Steak:
- Preheat a lightly-oiled gas or charcoal grill to medium-high (or use a lightly oiled grill pan set over high heat). In a small bowl, stir together the chili powder, chipotle, salt and cumin. Pat the steak dry, and season generously all over with the spice blend.
- Grill the steak over direct heat for 5 minutes on each side for medium-rare, or keep grilling to your preferred level of doneness. Transfer to a cutting board, and let rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting into thin slices.
- To assemble the salad, make an even layer of romaine on a large serving platter or salad bowl, and drizzle with about half of the dressing. Arrange the remaining ingredients on top of the lettuce, then drizzle with the remaining dressing and finish with a sprinkling of chopped cilantro.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: American