This savoury bread pudding combines a blend of earthy cremini mushrooms sauteed with shallots and thyme with the ooey, gooey, oh-so-melty goodness of Le Gré des Champs cheese. If you can’t find Le Gré des Champs cheese, substitute any other firm, nutty cheese – Canadian Gruyere or a firm tomme are both wonderful choices.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 10 oz sliced cremini mushrooms
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups half and half cream
- 5 cups cubed white crusty bread, left out overnight to dry
- 1 1/4 cup shredded Le Gré des Champs cheese, divided
- Lightly butter a 8-cup baking dish.
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, heat the butter until melted and foamy. Add the shallots and saute for 3 to 4 minutes, or until softened. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook 4 minutes longer or until softened and starting to brown. Stir in the garlic and thyme, and cook 1 minute longer or until fragrant. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add the half and half and 1 cup of grated cheese, stir to combine. Gently fold in the cubed bread and sauteed mushrooms. Spoon the mixture into the prepared dish, and set aside to soak while you preheat the oven.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Once the oven is hot, cover the bread pudding with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes, or just until the centre is set. Remove foil and sprinkle with the reserved ¼ cup cheese. Bake 25-30 minutes longer, or until the top is nice and browned.
- Category: Brunch