Make the most of a bumper crop of zucchini with this easy summertime tart topped with pesto, thin-sliced zucchini, crumbled feta and ribbons of fresh basil.
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed (if frozen)
- 1/2 cup pesto
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 large zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp good-quality olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a 9″x12″ baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a clean surface lightly dusted with flour, roll out the puff pastry so that it’s just slightly bigger than the prepared baking sheet. Carefully transfer onto the baking sheet, folding the edges back in to create a 1/2″ border. Spread the pesto onto the pastry, leaving the border untouched.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together the zucchini slices with olive oil, salt and pepper. Arrange the slices on top of the pesto layer, overlapping them slightly as you go. Sprinkle with crumbled feta and grated Parmesan.
- Lightly brush the edges of the tart with beaten egg. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed and golden, and the zucchini are just starting to brown around the edges.
- Let cool for about 5-10 minutes before serving, adding a scattering of chopped basil and lemon zest at the last minute.