This easy pasta bake can be thrown together using a handful of basic staples from your pantry and freezer. It’s the perfect solution to your weeknight what-do-I-make-for-dinner blues.
- 1 package (500g / 1 lb) short pasta, such as penne or rigatoni
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (796 ml / 28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (540 ml / 15oz) romano beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Chopped fresh basil or parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F. Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce. In a large skillet set over medium-high heat. brown the sausage and onion in olive oil for 5-7 minutes, or until the sausage starts to brown and the onion is soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer, or until fragrant. Stir in the tomatoes with their juice, drained beans, oregano, salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Once the pasta is done, drain and stir into the sauce. Transfer to a 13×9-inch casserole dish, and top off with mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and cheese is golden brown. Serve immediately with a sprinkling of chopped basil or parsley.
- Category: Mains
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian