Show off the sweetness of fresh summer carrots in this Moroccan-inspired salad, featuring tender carrot slices tossed with a spiced lemon vinaigrette, shredded fresh mint and crumbled feta. For an extra-pretty presention, try it with multi-coloured heirloom carrots!
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp ground paprika (preferably hot)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- Salt and pepper
- Handful mint leaves, chopped
- Handful crumbled feta
- Blanch the carrots for 2 minutes in a large pot of boiling water, then plunge into an ice-water bath to stop the cooking process. Once the carrots are completely cooled, drain and transfer to a pretty salad bowl.
- Using a dry skillet, toast the cumin and caraway over high heat for about 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Grind into a fine powder using a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder.
- Combine the cumin and caraway mixture with the paprika and cinnamon in a small bowl. Add garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and honey. Whisk until blended, then pour over the carrots and toss to coat. Set aside to let the flavours meld, about 20-30 minutes.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle salad with handfuls of chopped mint and crumbled feta.
- Category: Salads
- Method: Blanched
- Cuisine: Moroccan