Red wine and vanilla turn even the blandest of winter strawberries into a luscious and indulgent treat. Spoon them onto sliced poundcake or vanilla ice cream for a simple dessert, or go fancy-shmancy and pair them with a chocolate mousse.
- 1 lb fresh or frozen strawberries, hulled
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup full-bodied red wine (like a Malbec or Shiraz)
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar and red wine. Using a sharp knife, scrape out the seeds from the vanilla bean, and add to the red wine mixture. Add the strawberries, and stir until combined.
- Tumble the strawberries into a 9×13 baking dish, and bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes (or up to 1 hour, if using frozen berries), or until the sauce is thick and berries are soft and yielding.
- Category: Dessert