This simple cake balances the flavours of tangy fresh plums and lemon zest with rich walnuts and warm spices. Pair it with a piping-hot mug of hot black tea to help ward off the chill of late-summer evenings.
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter an 8×8 square baking dish, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and ground ginger.
- In a separate large bowl, cream the butter with the brown sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until well combined. Stir in the oil, lemon zest, vanilla and almond extract. Stir the flour mixture, mixing with a wooden spoon until just combined (it’s okay if the batter is still a little streaky).
- Pour the batter in the prepared dish, then gently smooth the top. Arrange the plums on top, skin side up. Bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or cold as the perfect finish to a late-summer-slash-early-fall picnic.
- Category: Desserts