These Vietnamese-style vegetarian sandwiches feature slices of pan fried tofu flavoured with lemongrass and chili, nestled in crusty baguette with loads of crunchy vegetables and spicy sriracha mayo.
- 1 (14 oz) package extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 8 slices
- 2 tbsp Gourmet Garden lemongrass stir-in paste
- 1 tbsp Gourmet Garden chili pepper stir-in paste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp canola oil
Quick Pickled Daikon-Carrot Slaw
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup julienned carrot
- 1 cup julienned daikon radish
- 4 banh mi rolls (or 1 crusty baguette, cut into 4 pieces)
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp sriracha sauce
- Thinly sliced fresh cucumber
- Fresh cilantro sprigs
Marinate the Tofu:
- Arrange the sliced tofu on a thick layer of paper towel. Cover with another layer of paper towel, then cover with a large plate and weigh down with a cast iron skillet or several cans. Let stand 15 minutes to press out some of the moisture, then discard the paper towels and pat the tofu dry.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemongrass paste, chili pepper paste, soy sauce, turmeric, and sesame oil. Arrange the tofu slices in a shallow dish, and brush them all over with the marinade. Set aside for 1 hour to allow the tofu to soak up all of the marinade.
Make the Carrot-Daikon Slaw:
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the rice wine vinegar, water, sugar and salt until the sugar and salt dissolve.
- Add the carrot and daikon, and toss to coat. Set aside to pickle for 30 minutes, then drain and transfer to an airtight container. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Prepare the Tofu and Assemble Sandwiches:
- Heat the 2 tbsp canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Remove the tofu from the marinade and gently pat dry with paper towel. Add to the skillet and pan-fry until golden brown and crispy, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- To assemble the sandwiches, split the buns in half. In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise and sriracha sauce, and spread onto the top and bottom of the buns. Nestle two tofu slices into each bun, then garnish with carrot-daikon slaw, cucumber slices and lots of fresh cilantro. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Cook Time: 6 mins
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Vietnamese