These adorable lamb chops prove that bold seasonings and a hot barbecue are lamb’s best friend. Save the leftover pesto (if you have any that is), and toss it with pasta, sweet peas and grilled shrimp later on in the week for an easy worknight supper.
Indian-Spiced Lamb Lollipops:
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp salt
- 8 lamb rib chops (aka “lamb lollipops”)
- 1 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- ½ cup shelled pistachios
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2–3 tbsp water
Marinate the Lamb Chops (3-4 hours in advance):
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, garlic, lemon juice and zest, ginger, garam masala, turmeric and salt until well combined.
- Place the chops in a large plastic zip-top bag, and pour over the marinade. Shake to make sure the chops are coated all over, then refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours.
Prepare the Pesto:
- While the chops are marinating, prepare the pesto.
- In a small food processor, pulse the mint and pistachios until finely chopped. Add the lemon juice, salt and pepper, and while the food processor is still running, slowly pour in the olive oil in a thin stream until the oil is fully incorporated. The pesto will probably still be a little thick at this point, so drizzle in some water, 1 tbsp at a time, until your have a thick but pourable consistency.
Grill and Serve the Lamb Chops:
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium high heat.
- Arrange the lamb chops over direct heat and cook with the lid closed until the chops are nicely browned on the outside and medium-rare on the inside, about 5 minutes per side. (You can cook it longer, if you like, but personally I think that lamb does best when it’s still a little pink in the middle.)
- To serve, place the lamb chops on a platter, and nestle a few lemon slices among them. Drizzle with a little pesto and scatter with some fresh mint. Pour the remaining pesto into a small bowl, and serve alongside the chops.
- Category: Main