These hearty vegetarian pot pies are topped with buttery biscuits dotted with finely chopped aged Gouda cheese. For a shortcut version, start with leftover roasted vegetables.
Fall Vegetable Filling:
- 6 cups diced fall vegetables (e.g. carrot, parsnip, squash, rutabaga, potatoes)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- ½ cup finely diced fennel bulb
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp dry sherry
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh sage
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup finely chopped Sylvan Star Cheese Grizzly
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, toss the vegetables with olive oil, salt and pepper. Tumble onto the prepared baking sheet, spreading out into an even layer. Roast for 30 minutes, or until tender and browned.
- While the vegetables are roasting, melt the butter in a large saucepan set over medium-high heat. Add the onion and fennel, and saute for 5 minutes or until the onions are soft and translucent, but haven’t taken on any colour. Stir in the flour and cook for another minute.
- Whisk in the vegetable broth and sherry, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat, and stir in the cream, peas, thyme, sage and roasted vegetables. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if needed.
- Next, make the biscuits. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut in the butter until the mixture is coarse and crumbly. Add the gouda and buttermilk, and stir until just barely combined.
- Spoon the filling into six oven-proof bowls, then top with heaping spoonfuls of the biscuit topping. Reduce the oven temperature to 400F. Arrange the pie dishes on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the filling is bubbly and hot, and the biscuits are cooked all the way through. Serve immediately.
- Category: Main