Think of this as your standard-issue breakfast sandwich on steroids – a juicy homemade pork sausage patty topped with gooey melted pepperjack cheese, crispy bacon and a fried egg, all sandwiched into a toasted challah bun. You’ll need extra napkins for this one!
Maple Sausage Patties:
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp minced fresh sage
- 1 tsp minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp minced fresh marjoram
- ¼ tsp dried red pepper flakes
Assembly and Garnishes:
- 12 strips double-smoked bacon
- 6 eggs
- 6 slices pepperjack or cheddar cheese
- 6 egg buns, split and toasted
Make the Patties:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground pork, maple syrup, salt, pepper, sage, thyme, marjoram and dried pepper flakes. Using your hands, mix until everything is well combined and the seasonings are evenly distributed throughout.
- Divide into 6 equal portions, and shape each one into a wide, flat patty.
Cook and Assemble Burgers:
- Heat the oven to 200F.
- In a large heavy-bottomed skillet, fry the bacon until crisp and browned. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with paper towel, and place in the oven to keep warm.
- Working in two batches, pan-fry the sausage patties for 3-4 minutes per side until browned and crisp on the outside and no longer pink in the middle. Keep warm in the oven while you finish cooking the eggs.
- Pour any accumulated fat from the pan into a clean heavy-bottomed skillet. Place over medium-high heat. Fry the eggs, one or two at a time, until the whites are mostly set. Gently flip over and continue cooking for a minute, then place in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining eggs, adding butter or oil to the pan if needed to keep from sticking.
- To assemble the burgers, place two strips of bacon onto the bottom half of each bun. Top with a sausage patty, a slice of cheese, a fried egg. Finish with the top bun. Serve immediately with a big pile of home fries or a green salad on the side. (And lots of napkins!)
- Category: Brunch