This simple vegetarian frittata makes the most of in-season-right-now-so-get-them-while-you-can ingredients like garlic scapes and fresh sweet peas. It’s delicious right out of the oven as a meatless main or brunch dish, or let it cool to room temperature and pack it up in your picnic hamper for an al fresco treat.
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
- ½ cup shelled sweet peas
- ½ cup chopped garlic scapes
- ¼ cup feta, cut into small cubes (preferably sheep’s milk)
- 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper until combined.
- In a 12-inch cast iron skillet (or any other oven-safe pan) set over medium high heat. Add butter to pan and melt. Add shiitakes, peas and garlic scapes to pan and saute for 4-5 minutes, or until the shiitakes are softened.
- Reduce the heat to low and gently pour the egg mixture onto the sautéed vegetables. Sprinkle with feta and chopped basil. Let cook undisturbed for 10-15 minutes, or until the sides of the frittata are set and start to pull away from the pan.
- Transfer to the preheated oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until the top of the frittata is puffed and golden brown. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing up and serving.
- Category: Main