All the deliciousness of your favourite banana bread, except it comes in the form of a rich, buttery scone. Serve with strawberry jam or honey for a tasty tea-time treat.
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed (~1 cup)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400F, and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Pulse a few times to combine. Drop in the cubes of butter, and pulse 8-10 times to cut in the butter, or until the mixture is coarse and crumbly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the bananas, buttermilk and vanilla extract. Add to the dry ingredients, and stir until just barely incorporated.
- Turn out the dough onto a clean working surface that's lightly dusted with flour, and shape into a rough circle about 1" thick. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 8 wedges. Arrange the wedges on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the scones are golden brown. Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling off completely.
I like these scones plain, but feel free to gussy them up by folding in 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts or mini chocolate chips when combining the wet and dry mixtures.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Dessert