These buttery, flaky cookies deliver all the goodness of baklava with a fraction of the effort. The orange blossom water is optional, but I highly recommend - it's the secret ingredient that gives the filling that signature baklava flavour.
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- ½ cup ground walnuts
- ¼ cup finely chopped pistachios
- 2 tsp orange zest
- ½ tsp orange blossom water (optional)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 sheet butter puff pastry (half of a 450g package)
- Preheat oven to 400F, and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the honey and melted butter until combined. Stir in the walnuts, pistachios, orange zest, orange blossom water, cinnamon and salt.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the puff pastry to a 12x12” rectangle. Spread with the nut mixture. (Note: The mixture will be quite sticky, so this works best if you place small amounts all over the pastry and then spread to cover, rather than dropping one big blob in the middle.)
- Starting from one of the sides, roll jelly-roll style until you get to the middle. Repeat with the opposite side to make the palmier shape. Brush a bit of water down the middle seam and press to seal the two rolls together. Wrap tightly in parchment and freeze for 15-20 minutes. (This helps the pastry firm up slightly so that it slices more easily.)
- Cut pastry into 1/4-inch slices. Arrange slices on prepared baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden and crisp, about 12 minutes, flipping over midway through. Let cool on baking sheet for 1 minute before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: French