Oven-baking instead of deep-frying makes these flautas a delicious and healthy option for a quick weeknight dinner.
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1/2 small red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8-10 small flour tortillas
- Sour cream
- Lime wedges
- Preheat oven to 425F. Lightly spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
Prepare the Filling:
- While the oven preheats, set a large saute pan over medium heat, and add oil. Once oil is hot, add the onion, red pepper and jalapeno, and saute for 5-7 minutes or until the onions are soft. Stir in garlic and cumin, and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Remove from heat, and stir in chicken, salsa, cilantro, and lime juice. Set aside the filling to cool for 10 minutes or so.
Assemble the Flautas:
- Stir the cheese into the cooled chicken filling.
- Arrange the tortillas on a clean working surface. Spread a heaping 1/4 cup measure of filling down the middle of each tortilla, then roll up tightly into a cigar shape.
- Arrange the flautas seam side down on the prepared baking sheet, and lightly spray the tops with a little more cooking spray.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the tortillas are crispy and golden-brown around the edges, and the filling is hot and bubbly.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then cut the flautas in half and serve with small dishes of the various garnishes so everyone can top off their plate as they like.
The filling can be prepared in advance - simply transfer the cooled filling to an airtight container, and refrigerate for up to 2 days or until ready to assemble.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Category: Main