Happy first official day of fall! The weather seems to have taken a cue from the calendar – after a warmish few days, we woke up to a cold, grey morning here in Toronto.
I’ve pulled out the warm sweaters and have a pot of red lentil and rice soup simmering away on the stove for dinner, but in the meantime, here are seven things that caught my eye this week.
1. On Thursday, I traveled to the wilds of Etobicoke to spend the morning judging three categories for the 2013 Ontario Finest Meat Competition.
In the space of three hours, I ate more bacon, poultry deli meats and cooked sausages than I normally eat in an entire month. In other words, most. awesome. morning. EVER. (Though I can say with great confidence that there is actually such a thing as too much bacon.)
Winners will be revealed at the awards gala in late October, and I’m really excited to find out who’s taking home the title!
2. Speaking of bacon, I’ve got my eye on this Spicy Caramel Corn with Bacon. Awesome, right?
I know caramel doesn’t really have a season, but it just feels like a fall flavour to me. (Perhaps because it works so well with other fall flavours, like apple and pear and pumpkin.)
3. I guess I’ve got pork on the brain this week, because a post-movie pig-out at OddSeoul last weekend has had me dreaming of these Korean Pulled Pork Sandwiches from the Yum Yum Factor, which have been on my to-make list for way too long. Time to dust off the crockpot and whip up a batch!
4. It’s the series finale of Dexter tonight! Have you been watching? I feel this season has been a little all-over-the-place, but I’m willing to forgive since the previous seasons have been so good. I’ll be bummed once it’s over for good. :(
5. This Chipotle video about the evolution of modern farming has been making the rounds lately, and it’s all kinds of awesome. (And rather timely, considering all of the products I judged on Thursday are produced by small, independent manufacturers.)
6. I’m all kinds of obsessed with Songza right now – especially their Funky Breaks and Retro Beats playlist, an awesome mix of funky 70’s breakbeats and classic 90’s hip hop. (In fact, that’s what I’m playing right now.)
7. And last, but definitely not least, I give you kittens playing Jenga. You’re welcome.