1. Today is the last day of the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival, and I’m officially all movied out. Our picks this year were all pretty solid, but the two highlights were a Japanese remake of Unforgiven (yes, that Unforgiven), and Siddharth, a heartbreaking film about an Indian father’s search for his lost son.
No real celebrity sightings this year – the closest I got was sitting across the aisle from Mia Wasikowska at the screening of Only Lovers Left Alive. (Tilda Swinton, who also stars, didn’t make an appearance… which is too bad, because her red carpet outfits are legendary for their insane awesomeness.)
2. The other significant event this weekend? We turned the furnace back on. Cue the comforting fall foods – I’ve got my eye on this Broccoli and Pistachio Soup from Six-Course Dinner.
3. The return of fall also means the return of knitting season, and with a new nephew on the way in a few months, it’s time to get cracking on a new baby blankie! Anyone have a favourite blankie pattern to recommend?
4. Another thing I have my eye on? These ridiculously amazing-looking Spinach, Artichoke and Bacon Stuffed Soft Pretzels from Half-Baked Harvest. THat’s like my first-favourite food stuffed in my second-favourite food!
5. Massive Attack’s Teardrop (better known as the theme from House, if you’re not into old school electronica) played on vegetables.
I guess someone wasn’t listening when their mother told them to stop playing with their food.
6. I’m loving the “Day in the Life of a Food Blogger” series at Chasing Delicious. The latest instalment had me literally laughing out loud, but it’s “Dear Kitchen Loiterers” that owns my heart.
7. And in other news, Lil Bub has a talk show.
(What, you didn’t think I’d put together one of these lists without something cat-related, did you? )