Oh hey. How is it Sunday night already? I’m not sure exactly where this weekend went, but went it did.
It’s kind of a blur of concert-going and kitten-snuggling and sausage-making and grocery-shopping and gingerbread-baking… and somehow Friday night turned into Saturday turned into Sunday evening. But before Sunday slips completely through my fingers, here are seven things that caught my eye this past week.
1. It was a great week for cookbook events. On Wednesday afternoon, I popped over to the Chatelaine Test Kitchen to attend a cooking demo and cookbook signing with the oh-so-charming Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi, the dynamic duo behind Jerusalem, one of my favourite cookbooks ever.
The chefs answered questions as they demonstrated a recipe for fennel salad with pomegranate and feta (as well as their well-choreographed kitchen routine), answered questions from the crowd (Ottolenghi’s dream dinner guest? Nigella!) and were generally incredibly charming and entertaining.
2. On Thursday night, it was over to the Random House offices for an intimate evening with Rosie Daykin, owner of the Butter Baked Goods bakery in Vancouver. She was in town to promote her recently published cookbook (named after her bakery, natch), and let me tell you, it is gooooorgeous.
We nibbled on delicious treats the Appetite team baked up from the cookbook, sipped on pink lemonade, and chatted about baking. It was lovely.
And best of all, I managed to sweet talk my way into a second copy, so y’all know what that means… stay tuned for a giveaway, where one lucky reader will get their very own autographed copy of Butter!
3. Speaking of Ottolenghi (and baked goods in general), I’m obsessed with their Sticky Chocolate Loaf.
The secret ingredient for its moist, gooey texture? Prunes soaked in Armagnac. Awesome, right?
4. Still trying to decide on a Halloween Costume that reflects your love of all things food? Eat North has you covered with 11 Sexy Food Costumes. (Personally, I find Annoying Orange more scary than sexy, but hey… a chacun son gout, right?)
5. I was always told that boiling beans in salted water makes the skins tough, but according to The Kitchn, we’ve been doing it wrong all along. Good to know, considering chili season is upon us!
6. I’ve got a new recipe over on Eat North for Spiced Apple-Oatmeal Scones with Almond Glaze. You should check it out. Better yet, you should make it! :)
7. And seeing as the weekend is nearly over, let’s all cheer ourselves up with a bunch of dogs wearing ridiculously awesome costumes. It won’t stop Monday morning from coming, but at least it takes some of the edge off the Sunday night blues.