Happy Daylight Savings day, everyone!
What did you do with your extra hour? I spent mine cooking up a storm and photographing a few dishes for upcoming blog posts, since there’s not a whole lot of daylight these days and I’ve got some busy weekends ahead of me.
Now I just need to process all those dang photos I took. But before I do, here are a few things I wanted to share this week.
1. I spent my afternoon yesterday checking out Toronto’s Distillery District with a few other local bloggers. It’s one of my favourite parts of the city, and one that I always recommend to visitors – like Montreal’s Old Port, it combines the charm of a restored industrial district, cobblestone streets and all, with lovely little galleries and boutiques.
We toured the Mill Street Brewery, dropped into The Sweet Escape Patisserie to chat with owner Michelle and oogle their assortment of creative shortbread flavours (coconut curry shortbread? yes yes yes!), and then headed over to Mexican hotspot El Catrin for dinner and cocktails.
My only disappointment was not managing to squeak in a visit to Soma Chocolatiers, which is an absolute wonderland of all things chocolate. Still, I came home with my wallet significantly lighter and my stomach significantly fuller. :)
2. Now that the days are shorter and the weather is chillier, I’m seriously craving some slow cooked comfort food.
At the moment, these Slow Cooker Portuguese-Style Pork Cacoila Sandwiches from Taking On Magazines are right at the top of my list.
3. Also on my list? These Clementine Butter Cookies from Mountain Mama Cooks. After all, it won’t be long now before the wooden crates full of juicy clementines are back at the greengrocer again!
4. The cold weather has also got me craving tea. I splurged on a tin of cinnamon-scented Glitter and Gold tea at David’s Tea last week – so named because the loose-leaf tea actually has little sparkly gold sugar crystals mixed in! What can I say… I can’t say no to a little bling. :)
5. Need something stronger than tea to make you feel all warm and fuzzy? This Buzzfeed story about a couple who met and fell in love over Instagram might just do the trick. (Seriously. How adorable is that? I die.)
6. What happens when your inner child and your inner geek collide? You get Goodnight Dune. (And nightmares. Scary nightmares full of scary sandworms.)
7. I’m heading down to Buffalo next weekend for a Trader Joe’s trip – chili-dusted mango strips, here I come! Have any favourite TJ’s products they’d like to recommend? Leave a comment and let me know!